I loved this article! I found it on Oprah’s website. I am always talking to clients about getting rid of clutter … okay, please at least read the ground rules below. If you like what you read, there’s a link at the end to the rest of the article. Happy Cleaning!!!
Twelve Ways to Unclutter Your Life
By Andrew Mellen
He’s got organizational superpowers! He can bring order to your kitchen and demystify the reasons you’re hanging on to things you don’t need (and don’t even like) in your closets, drawers, basement. He’s here to help get your house, and your sanity, back.
Think of this scenario: If your house were burning and your family, pets, and purse were already out of harm’s way, what else would you want to save? Probably not the blender that only works on one speed, the china you inherited but never use, or the photo in which you’re not exactly looking your best. Which begs the question: If those things aren’t worth taking, why are they in your home in the first place?
There’s no reason to be surrounded by things that don’t work, that you don’t need, or that you don’t even like. As a professional organizer, I help my clients figure out what they should keep and what they should kiss goodbye; then we figure out how to make what they have work for them. You can do it yourself by following the steps I’ve outlined:
The Ground Rules
1. Everything you own should have value, either because it’s functional or beautiful or you just love it. Remember the question of what you’d grab if your house were on fire; that’s your baseline for determining an object’s worth.
2. Every item needs a place where it “lives.” Setting things down on the coffee table or kitchen counter creates piles and confusion. My clients mock me when I say, “Where do your keys live? They live in a bowl or on a hook by the front door”—but you never lose anything when you put it where it lives.
3. Focus on one thing at a time. Multitasking is supposed to help you get more things done quickly, but when you try to do 19 things at once, everything ends up incomplete. You’re trying to simplify your life, so simplify your approach to getting organized. Now let’s get started.
Hmmm … for some reason, I can’t ad a link in this article. So, if you want to read the rest, copy and paste the following into your browser: http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazine/200809_omag_unclutter
- Finding Me (Soul Retrieval) - June 7, 2021
- Second Annual Compassion in Action Giveaway - March 12, 2021
- Self-Love & Self-Care Giveaway Completed - March 1, 2021
- Never Enough - December 28, 2020
- More Than They Know - December 21, 2020
- Signs and Symbols - October 19, 2020
- EVE Gives Justice - October 12, 2020
- Saving the Children - October 5, 2020
- Politics & Spirituality - September 28, 2020
- Rainbows Around the World Giveaway - September 7, 2020