I recently read an article on Wake up World about compact florescent light bulbs that really surprised me. There are so many things I read about how everything seems to cause cancer, and there are so many things that seem way out of my control. Sometimes it’s simply overwhelming, but once in a while I run across something that shows me I can make a difference.
Did you know your light bulbs could be poisoning our water supply? I didn’t! I don’t like florescent lights because they give me headaches, but I have some of those curly light bulbs in my house. I thought they were supposed to be super energy efficient, but I guess there is enough mercury in one of those little bulbs to poison 6,000 gallons of water! Maybe that doesn’t sound like much, but think about what happens when many people are throwing those things in the trash!!!
What’s the solution? Hope Depot! I read a rumor that Hope Depot recycles these bulbs, so I called the company to make sure. A really nice lady told me that we can take our water poisoning light bulbs to any Hope Depot, and they will dispose of them properly. If you don’t have a Home Depot, maybe check with your local hardware store and see if they can recycle them.
Want a more long term solution? I ran across a company called Pharox that sells LED light bulbs. It appears they are about $5 to $10 per bulb, but they last 25 years and do not contain toxins like mercury. This is not a company I am any way affiliated with, and I’m sure there are other companies out there like this one. I’ve never even purchased their products, but I do feel this is a good place to start.
Maybe this post will keep a few more toxins out of our trash … and out of our water supply.
- Angel Messenger Charity Projects - January 11, 2020
- Making a Difference One Bracelet at a Time - October 21, 2019
- A Dedication to the Earth Mother - September 2, 2019
- Mother Earth Contest Winners - July 15, 2019
- Mystical Shaman Oracle (Recommended Deck) - July 1, 2019
- My Mother Earth Experience - June 3, 2019
- The Mother Earth Project - April 1, 2019
- The Ultimate Guide to Creating Beacons of Love - March 11, 2019
- Honor Thy Children (Save The World) - March 4, 2019
- Freeing Athena (Trapped in A Land of Mist) - February 4, 2019